September the following year, James Gander then 61, married for
a second time. The bride was a 60 year old widow, Amey Jacques and
the ceremony took place at Christchurch, St. George's East,
Stepney. Amy was the daughter of Thomas Davis, a butcher, and came
from Berners Street which ran from Commercial Road to Ellen Street,
where James was living. James usually lived very near to his job
and very likely worked at the cooperage on the south corner of Fairclough
Street and Christian Street. James Gander's second son and daughter-in-law,
James Henry and Louisa witnessed the marriage.
We are indebted to Edmund Gander for the discovery of this most
interesting marriage certificate. Its significance is that it mentions
not only James Gander's but also his father's name and occupation,
that is, William Gander, hoop bender.
seemed appropriate, being the centenary of James Gander's death*
to make a return visit to Upper Thames Street to see what had become
of the parish where he had lived and worked for so many years.
The church of All Hallows
the Great did not survive very long after the family's departure.
In 1876 the north aisle and tower were demolished to widen the street
and in 1894 the rest was auctioned off to make way for the City
of London Brewery, formerly Calverts, to spread over from the neighbouring
site. The parish was united to that of St. Michael Paternoster Royal
It has not been established with certainty when the old churchyards,
where 6 members of the Gander family lay buried were built over.
It is is reasonable to have expected the human remains to have been
disinterred and re-buried with an appropriate memorial in