| || |
many of whom were M.P.'s at one time or another. The official annual returns for 1814, of the quantity of porter brewed, show this brewery sixth of the twelve principal brewers with a production of over 100,000 barrels. Many years later this became the site of the City of London brewery.
On the right can be seen the entrance to Suffolk Lane and further down that of Little Bush Lane. A little further down was Bush Lane and Hand Court and opposite these, No. 86 the Steelyard, which is also shown in T.H. Shepherd's water colour.
The Steelyard was formerly the premises of the Hanseatic League, a community of foreigners, who in earlier times for a period of about 300 years enjoyed a monopoly of importing hemp, corn, linen and other things into England. It is said the Steelyard was so called from the steel beam by which goods imported into London were weighed but opinions differ about this. It originally contained a fine hall and courtyard but within its confines now was another brewery. Between the Steelyard and Cousin Lane was No. 84 the Falcon public house and a wine merchants. Dowgate Wharf was a little further along and directly opposite, on the north side of the street, was Dowgate Hill. Beyond Dowgate Wharf was Brewers Lane, formerly Brewhouse Lane. Eades and Young's premises at 82 Upper Thames Street were on the corner of Brewers Lane. Opposite, a little further along on College Hill, stood St. Michael's Paternoster Royal.