| || |
1.5 UPPER THAMES STREET
1814 and 1820, the firm of Edward Eades closed its Wapping premises
and opened up as Edward Eades and Son at 168 Upper Thames Street,
in the area where both John and Richard Wesson were already working.
William Gander was there by 1823 when the firm had moved across
the street to No. 82 under the style of Eades and Young.
This area was the old centre of the import and export trade and once the most crowded and busiest part of the City. Its south side was wholly occupied by wharves, warehouses and working peoples dwellings, with narrow lanes leading down to the riverside stairs between the quays. On the north side and in the streets rising up the hill towards Cannon Street were the houses of the merchants and wealthier class. The many churches indicate the wealth and size of population of this important area in earlier times. As with nearly all the City of London parishes, All Hallows the Great parish was tiny, the entire parish boundaries could be walked in a matter of minutes and its inhabitants could be numbered in hundreds.